Sunday 22 May 2011

Who said explosions have to be Red and Yellow ?

Just a quick update this time, and I promise to keep it short.

I have been working on the shockwave/explosion routine of Tank in order to get rid of the side-effects presented when using Sprites for my explosions. I'm getting somewhere near now, so I thought I'd upload a short video of how it's currently looking. I do intend to make the shockwave a little less opaque, but it's still an early version of the routine.

The video shows a stationary enemy tank which already has depleted health - no one shot kills here. I fire at the tank but intentionally aim low, just to show the effect of the shockwave on that tank. If you look carefully, you will see my projectile falls far short of the enemy, yet the wave still takes him out. The shockwave is actually expanding while it exists, but due to the low frame rate of the video capturing software it's not that easy to notice.


As you can see, I decided to go for a "non-standard" colour for the explosion particles. I did this primarily for two reasons; Firstly, it stands out more when there is a distant battle occurring, and Secondly, I can do whatever the hell I like in the world of Tank :)

So that's it for now, other than a quick thank you to Nick Baumer for helping me see the light when coding the shockwave routine. I'm still not decided on an enemy locator function yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment...