Friday 16 December 2011

Long time, no post :(

With the arrival of Battlefield 3 and a number of social events, it turns out that I have been neglecting my blog somewhat. However, with the excitement of BF3 dying down a little, and the upcoming potential free time due to Christmas holidays, I'm starting to get the creative itch again.

The EasyMatrix project is a fully working and usable application, and I do intend to use it at some point when I try and learn more about AI (Artificial Intelligence) programming, but at the moment I feel the urge to learn something new. I'm one of those people who can't stick with something for any length of time before being attracted to something new and shiny, but then I usually end up returning to the "old faithful" environments I'm comfy with.

I pretty much know my way around the DarkBasic language now, and finding solutions to programming problems is more a matter of "what to code" rather than "how to code it". If you're a programmer then that will make some kind of sense to you, I hope :)

So during the holidays I'm going to try and learn yet another programming language, namely Java. I have a few friends who already know Java reasonably well, and another couple of friends who have been meaning to take a look at it, but never got round to it. So I think I'm going to dip my toes in the water, and see what it's like. The only thing I do know for sure is that everything I need to learn the language is available for free online, so that's a huge plus in my book!

I'm going to try and keep this blog updated with my progress again, if only for historical reference so I can look back one day (while smoking my pipe and admiring my slippers) and think to myself - "remember when I tried to learn Java...."

It might turn out that after a bit of sniffing around, I decide that the language isn't for me, but right now my intentions are clear. I'll let you know how I get on.