Thursday 22 March 2012

Kicking an idea around

So I've been messing about, trying to come up with some idea of which direction I want the next project to take. I really want to try my hand at making a platformer at some point, and also some sort of resource management-type thing.

The platformer I have an idea how to start, it's pretty straightforward (he says, as if he knows what he's doing...) whereas a resource management game would be totally new to me. So I started throwing together some in-game art to see if it would lead me anywhere. I'm still working on the platformer art at the moment, but regarding the resource game, after half an hour with PaintShop this appeared...


...then an hour later, this...


I have a very rough idea for a game based on those graphics, but nothing solid enough to start coding. I'm going to see how the platformer graphics pan out before committing to anything. But, back to work tomorrow, so I'm not sure how long it will be before I get something off the ground.